Monday, October 1, 2012

Hanging by a Moment

What is love? What is it like?

I have never been in love but recently,  I read a Regency romance novel featuring a frumpy heroine who decided to do certain things because she, it appears, has lived a safe existence for so very long.

With the ton considering her as very definitely on the shelf, and with her very own quiet acceptance (by wearing her lace cap and sitting on the spinster's seat as the veritable wallflower), our heroine seems to have snapped out of her trance-like life when her younger sister, considered as the toast of the season, was about to marry a duke.

She made out a list of things she would do. Things that gentlemen do but ladies don't do. Her list included: kissing someone - passionately, gambling in a gentlemen's club, fencing, watching a duel, shooting a pistol, and for once, feel beautiful.

I am planning my own list to...several lists actually. Lists that don't include finishing my Master's Degree in five years, reading Shakespeare's complete works within three years, writing a young adult fantasy novel, working from morning til' night, earning a promotion and all those professionally cool things I have been hankering about.

I want to do something personal. Something different for once. Something for myself. I have no idea what those things are yet but with me falling hopelessly "in-like" with a self-professing Christian football hottie and claiming him, I think that's saying I am really going around the bend.

I need to catch up with real life...

No comments: